A couple weeks ago, we showed you how a major chicken supplier for Gordon Food Service
—the largest private foodservice distributor in the U.S.—routinely tortures millions of animals. Now, we’re releasing disturbing hidden-camera video from inside the largest poultry producer in Canada—Maple Lodge Farms.
The graphic video shows:
- Countless birds freezing to death when trucked to slaughter in sub-zero temperatures
- Crates of chickens callously thrown and dropped several feet onto a conveyor belt
- Chickens getting their wings or heads crushed in cage doors, causing severe pain, injury, and death
- Workers violently slamming fragile chickens upside down into shackles, often breaking legs and wings
- Birds left in cages and sent through scalding-hot industrial washing machines while still alive
- Animals having their throats sliced open while still conscious and able to feel pain
From the day these birds hatch until they are violently killed, their short lives are filled with misery and deprivation.
This important story broke this weekend on Canadian national television, alerting millions of people to the horrors of modern poultry production. Click here to read the exposé.
Many of the cruelties documented at this facility are illegal under both Canadian provincial and federal law. That’s why we quickly went to law enforcement with the video footage and a detailed legal complaint calling for swift action to hold the company accountable for torturing countless birds.
Unfortunately, this is not the first time Maple Lodge Farms has been in trouble with the law. In 2013, this same meat producer was convicted of causing undue suffering to thousands of chickens during transport and slaughter. The company was fined and later put on probation and ordered to spend $1 million to clean up its act. Over a year later, extreme animal cruelty continues to run rampant at Maple Lodge Farms.
We cannot allow this to continue!
Please join MFA
in calling on Maple Lodge Farms to adopt meaningful animal welfare policies to end the worst forms of institutionalized animal abuse at its facilities. As the largest poultry producer in Canada, Maple Lodge Farms has both the power and responsibility to end the needless suffering of millions of animals.